Second Semester Sunset
Blogger: Jane Drinkard
Hey prospective students,
Well I’ve been back at Oxy now for about 3 weeks and the time has truly flown by. I’ve been applying all over the place for on campus jobs and internships and trying to bravely navigate Oxy as a second semester freshman. All of the older kids that I talked to first semester told me how different Oxy was second semester, but before I came back from break I didn’t understand exactly what they meant. Now being back, I get it:
1. I am familiar with the campus which makes everything feel more comfortable and accessible.
2. There are tons (at least it feels like tons) of people that I see walking around that I feel like I’ve never seen before (some have probably been abroad, but maybe I’m just paying closer attention).
3. Classes are more challenging and inspiring.
4. I’ve learned to get creative with the marketplace food (my friends and I have recently gotten really into making avocado toast with fried eggs topped with some salt and pepper).
5. I’m more willing and less frightened to put myself out there and talk to someone new or apply for a tough position.
While these things on their own might seem small, together they form a very different and refreshing experience. I had one of my best friends who lives in Australia come visit this past weekend and I took her up to Mount Fiji to watch the sunset. After standing there with her eyes wide she turned to me and stated “I want to come to school here. How do you apply?”